A Tip For Friends Of Divorcees



While I was in Denver a few weeks ago, I came upon boxes that I had packed away years ago during my divorce. Finding these boxes now is such a treat. Not because inside lies treasures (Anthropologie bowls!), but because inside each box panel is a special note from a dear friend who helped me pack my apartment during that time.






Also, on that note, here's a little tip for how you can help someone going through a divorce: If he or she is moving out of the apartment, offer to help sift through belongings.


Every couple separates things up differently, but in my case, my ex and I didn't care much about who got what. I was ready to pack up my clothes and be done with it. I'm so thankful now that I had a friend there to pack away some dishes, knives (which can really be quite expensive), books, decor, etc.


It sounds so trivial, and really it is, but when I started all over here in New York, it was so nice to find that I already had many of those staples. I do still kick myself, however, for not going through the toolbox! I miss that staple gun!

1 comment

  1. [...] few years later, I went through my divorce and was seeing a counselor to tackle that beast. During our conversations, we learned that I really [...]

    ReplyDelete