Why The MAC Store Scares Me



'Twas a Saturday night and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse...

In other words, it was a Saturday night and I was free. I had been wanted to try the red lipstick trend going on this season but I was missing the guts a bold red color calls for.

But was this something I wanted? Yes.

So I loved myself enough to get myself what I wanted. After a little research for a universal color, I mustered up some courage and headed out to my local MAC store to purchase.

Yes, it took courage.

You see, the MAC store to me is like Abercrombie & Fitch to a 6th grader. Too cool. But I new what I wanted: Matte lipstick in Ruby Woo. All I needed to do was walk in, pick it up and pay.

Oh, if only it could have been that simple.

I walk in and quickly find the color but there were only tester tubes out. I asked an employee to please find me the color in a new tube. The next thing I know, lipstick is in my hand and I'm being told to try it on. Bright red. Put it on. People are watching.

I quickly smear it on.

First mistake: You can't be quick with red lipstick.

I looked like a mess so I began rubbing the color off with a tissue.

Next mistake: You shouldn't rub.

Now, as a result of smearing lipstick and rubbing my skin, my mouth (not just the lips) is entirely red. Just then, an employee asks me how I'm doing and the entire store looks over to see. Not well MAC lady! Not well at all! She hands over a make-up remover cloth and I started rubbing that all over which brings us to mistake #3.

The make-up remover cloth has alcohol in it.

So at this point, my red face is now even more red and oh yes, it's burning! I walk to up to the register, pay for my lipstick (with my head down the entire time) and race out of there.

But I did get the lipstick. And after a little more practice with the application, Miss Ruby Woo and I are getting along great.

3 comments

  1. I'm so glad you're back to blogging!
    I recently bought some bright red lipstick, and every time I wear it, I have a minor panic attack. Do you read nat the fat rat? I think she says you have to give red lipstick a try 6 times in public before calling it quits. That ruby woo looks great on you! perhaps I should try that color. I just bought a generic red at target because I was too afraid to go to a real makeup counter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are rocking it -- I love it. I have a hard time there too.

    ReplyDelete