Why A Girl Who Hated Running Signed Up For a Half Marathon


I think June 9th may have been one of the best days of my life. Which sounds crazy because it was the day I ran a half marathon.
Side note: I would NEVER have thought one of the best days of my life would include running.


Back story behind the madness: Last year was a doozy. I've mentioned it briefly here but my divorce was the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life. In the midst of the separation and divorce, I decided to take the GRE and apply to graduate school. Now try going through the deepest heartbreak of your life, the identity change, depression, and endless paperwork that comes with that heartbreak all while studying for a seemingly impossible test. People ask me how I did it and truthfully, I went numb there for a while. I think one way to cope with our trials is to hunker down and do what you have to do.


Well my approach to the GRE was basically "I am going to bomb this and I won't get it anywhere but let's just get it done so I can move on from the graduate school bug". Over the weeks of studying, I somehow convinced myself that I wasn't going to bomb this and graduate school was actually a possibility. As it turns out, I didn't bomb it at all. And I'm going to graduate school. Well, that got me thinking....What other impossible things can I do?


In fact, what is the most impossible thing in my world? The answer was easy.


Running.


The numbness may have added a bit to this decision because at that point, I just wanted to feel again. Even if it was heart-racing, gasping pain, I was ready to feel it. So the idea of a half marathon was planted in my head.


I started jogging a bit here and there. I basically repeated Week 1 of Hal Higdon's program for 2 months...Come February, I knew that if I was going to actually do this, it was time to register for a race to have some accountability and get cracking. I called up a girlfriend of mine and we decided the Utah Valley Half Marathon was where it was at and with $70 and a Frontier flight, I was Provo bound. Now it was time to work.


I followed Higdon program religiously. I'd wake up at 4:30 am to eat something, then sleep until 5:30 am and be pounding the pavement by 6. Even then I'd be late to work sometimes. Hindsight, I think my training here followed the same path as the GRE.


I'm going to bomb this but why not give it a go?


Then after a while it became..


Hmm...I'm actually able to run 7 miles...Maybe I could run the whole 13.1...


The week before the race I realized I could not only do this but I may do pretty well.


Folks, June 9th was a day to remember in my book. Race recap tomorrow...

1 comment

  1. GREAT WORK!! It's true that those sorts of trials just make you hunker down, go numb, and just get to work.

    ReplyDelete